Sunday, August 03, 2008

Benchmark NF0662

I decided today was the day to try to find a benchmark. This is the information
on this one.

Documented History (by the NGS)
1/1/1934 by CGS (MONUMENTED)
DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1934 AT FULLER. AT FULLER, KENT COUNTY, ON THE CHESAPEAKE AND OHIO RAILWAY, 70 YARDS SOUTH OF THE GRAND TRUNK WESTERN RAILROAD, AT THE PENNSYLVANIA RAILROAD BRIDGE OVER A CREEK, IN THE SOUTHEAST CORNER OF THE CONCRETE CAPSTONE AT THE EAST END OF THE CENTER PIER, 4 FEET EAST OF THE EAST RAIL, AND 3-1/2 FEET LOWER THAN THE TOP OF THE RAIL. A STANDARD DISK, STAMPED N 97 1934.


I have been to this area several times so I knew the place exactly. I didn't know exactly what I was looking for. I mean I had a idea but you know..lol

To the bridge I know...


See there across the way.. that's where I need to be..



I went on the bridge I'm use to and the gps said I was still like 30 some feet
from it and it was across the way. Now when I was here before I didn't notice the other bridge. It's hidden a bit so that's probably why. So I re-routed myself and
bushwacked my way to where I was assuming the way was to the bridge. I was right.
Now stepping on the old rails was a bit scary cause you know damn well they are old!!
Then I have the camera and the gps and my phone all at one time and I have to climb down off the tracks onto a cement slab to get a picture of it. All I could think climbing down is oh god let me get back up and please don't let me drop anything into the water.. Regardless it was fun!
I looked around a bit and bingo I found it. I was so excited. I know it don't take much..lol


The view from the benchmark..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well its nice to know that you have great hits here.

Anonymous said...

If im in the situation of the owner of this blog. I dont know how to post this kind of topic. he has a nice idea.